Monday 18 November 2013

Scotland 0 - 28 South Africa: Springboks Keep Clean Sheet

It was a game I am very sure the Boks did not "fear" that much, but out of respect for Scotland, they would never admit it. If you did not watch the game, the score, 0 - 28, should tell you in no uncertainty what transpired on a wet Murrayfield in Edinburgh.


My weekend was turned upside-down somewhat with the Sunday test match, but a rugby test match still remains special, no matter when it is played and against who the Boks play. As the Scottish team appeared on screen for the first time, I could not help but frown, as most of the names were unfamiliar to me. Combine that with the changed jerseys of the Scots (they looked like 2nd team jerseys?), I got the distinct feeling that this was going to turn out to be a thrashing of some sorts.

Four tries to nothing and 28 unanswered points later, I knew my original feeling was right. Although the Scots put up a fight for most of the 80 minutes, the Springboks turned out to be too strong on defence and too strong on attack as well. Mainly because of the games predictability, I found myself losing interest during the second half. Or, maybe it was because I did not have my usual Sunday afternoon nap?

Three tries were scored during the first half, with Willem Alberts, JP Pietersen (in his 50th test), and Willie le Roux crossing the line. Patrick Lambie added three conversions for a 21-0 lead at the break. The fourth try was scored in the second half by replacement front-rower Coenie Oosthuizen, with Lambie again converting.



Francois Louw was carried off for what looked like a serious injury, but reports from the Bok camp are that he is doing just fine and that the injury was not as bad as they initially feared it was.

I salute the Bokke on a clinical performance, but next week against France they will certainly have to be as clinical in their execution, if not more so to beat the French on home soil.

The Sports-Man chooses Duane Vermeulen as his Man-of-the-Match for an awesome performance from the back of the Bok scrum - do you agree or which player would you select?

What are your views on yesterday's game and what is your prediction for next Saturday?

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...